The tax is designed to capture foreign and domestic speculators who hold vacant property in designated urban centers. All owners of residential property in the designated taxable regions of B.C. must complete an annual declaration – this can be done online or by phone. The information you’ll need to register your property declaration will be mailed by mid-February to all owners of residential property within the taxable regions.

To claim your exemption, you must register your property by March 31, 2019.

We have provided links to help answer the most commonly asked questions about this new tax.

For more general information on the Speculation and Vacancy tax and how to make your declaration:

 To determine if your property falls within a taxable region:

 For information on tax rates: