The Canadian Revenue Agency does not send refunds via Interac E-Transfers
The BBB and Saanich Police are warning the public to be aware of a new scam that has been reported numerous times in recent weeks. The scam could potentially result in identity and financial theft from individuals.
Individuals receive an email which appears to be from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) advising they have been sent an Interac e-transfer.
CRA does not ever transfer funds via Interac e-transfers. CRA will only send money by direct deposit or mailing a cheque.
The notification provides a website link for the recipient. Clicking on the link will direct you to a website that may appear to be legitimate, which will as you to enter personal information which could then potentially be used for a malicious purpose.
An example of the email is below:
Dear <email address> :
Canada Revenue Agency has sent you an INTERAC e-Transfer (previously INTERAC Email Money Transfer).
Amount: $521.51 (CAD)
Sender’s Message: A message was not provided
Expiry Date: 23/05/2016
Action Required: To deposit your money, click here:
CRA has confirmed that these emails do not originate from them; the website is not affiliated to them and these communications are a scam.
The CRA will never do the following:
- request personal information of any kind from a taxpayer by email
- divulge taxpayer information to another person without formal authorization provided by the taxpayer
- leave any personal information on an answering machine
As always, when in doubt, ask yourself the following:
- am I expecting additional money from the CRA?
- does this sound too good to be true?
- is the requestor asking for information I would not include on my tax return?
- is the requestor asking for information CRA already has on file for me?
- how did the requestor get my email address?
For information on scams, to report deceptive telemarketing, or if you have given personal or financial information unwittingly, contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre online at:
www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca or call toll free 1-888-495-8501
If you have received a telephone call from the CRA and wish to confirm the authenticity of the CRA phone number, you can contact 1-800-959-8281