Remember: You can only submit Form W-8BEN directly to your withholding agent.
The Form W-8BEN (Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding) is a legitimate U.S. tax exemption document.
However, fraudsters typically target non-residents of the U.S. and use the W-8BEN format to acquire personal details such as:
- mothers maiden name
- passport number
- date of birth
- PIN numbers and passcodes
The legitimate IRS Form W-8BEN, does not ask for any of that information. The fraudulent forms use the various angles that may claim, for example:
- Anti-money laundering regulations require a review of your client information and ask you to complete the form.
- You are exempt from tax reporting and withholdings on income including interest paid to you. To protect your exemption from tax please complete the attached form.
What should you do if you receive such a scam form via email, fax, mail or other format?
- Do NOT reply.
- Do NOT open any attachments. Attachments may contain malicious code that will infect your computer.
- Do NOT click on any links. If you clicked on links in a suspicious email or phishing website and entered confidential information, visit the IRS identity protection page.